This is Amma’s Recipe 🙂
***You can also cook this in the crockpot, just add all the ingredients together except for the barley and cook on high for 4 hours. Add the barley and continue cooking for another hour to hour and a half.
- 8 oz of Barley
- 3-4 LB Chuck or Lean Round Rump Roast (cut into small cubes)
- 2 48oz Containers of Beef Broth
- 1 Sweet Vidalia Onion Diced (if you can’t find them use any variety of sweet onion)
- 1 Envelope of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Bag of Baby Carrots Diced
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen baby corn
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen extra fine green beans
- 2 14 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP crushed garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cut any large amounts of fat off the beef and discard, then cut the beef into small cubes
- Put broth, dry onion soup mix, onion, corn, extra fine green beans and carrots in a large pot and cook over medium heat
- Add the tomatoes and crushed garlic, mix all the ingredients until well blended
- Add the beef cubes uncooked into the soup, cover and cook on medium heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the barley, you can adjust the amount you add according to your taste, I use about 2 cups for this large a batch.
- Cook over medium heat for about another hour or until the barley is completely cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste, I personally add about 3 TBSP of garlic and 2-3 TBSP of ground black pepper to the soup while it’s cooking.
Serve with fresh italian bread or in a bread bowl 🙂