I found this recipe on All Recipes and have been using it for all of my cookie cutouts for decorating. This is an excellent and easy way to decorate your cookies if you are looking for a beautiful glossy finish instead of a matted finish on your cookies 🙂
- 1/4 Cup of Warm Water
- 1 TBSP of Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 tsp of Almond Extract (you can use a different flavored extract if you prefer)
- 3 Cups of Confectionary Sugar (you may need a bit more for the perfect consistency)
- Stir warm water, corn syrup, and almond extract together in a small bowl until corn syrup and extract have dissolved.
- Place confectioners’ sugar into a separate bowl and add liquid ingredients.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until royal icing is smooth.
- Store in a lidded container for up to a week; stir thoroughly before using.
- Do not refrigerate!!
- For thick icing, which you will need for outlining and details, add more sugar until icing is quite thick.
- Icing can be thinned with a few drops of water to make a glaze for filling in outlines or dipping cookies.
- Icing hardens into a shiny glaze quickly.
- Keep stirring your bowl of icing as you work with it