Chicken riggies is a favorite in CNY and was actually created in Utica NY I have had riggies many times being from Syracuse, NY and have taken the different recipes I’ve found on the internet along with my personal taste prefrances and created this recipe. It reminds of the real chicken riggies from my home town 😉
- 1 16 ounce package rigatoni pasta
- 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 Sweet onion, diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 Roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 Hot cherry peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rigatoni pasta, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook in the hot oil until lightly browned on all sides, and no longer pink in the center, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and keep warm.
- Stir the onion, garlic, and cubanelle peppers into the pan you cooked the chicken in.
- Cook and stir until the onion has softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the roasted red peppers, hot cherry peppers, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer
- Stir in the heavy cream and cooked chicken. Simmer 2 or 3 minutes
- Add your parmesan cheese stirring until combined
- Stir in the pasta and serve
- Sprinkle with more freshly grated parmesan cheese if you’d like