This is our mothers recipe and is cherished more now since she has passed. It’s important to do all the layers just like the recipe,it does make a huge difference when it’s all cooked together and the flavors blend just perfectly! You won’t be disappointed 😉
- 1- 16oz Box Elbow Macaroni Cooked and Well Drained
- 2- 24oz bricks of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 2- Sticks of Butter
- 1- Cup of Flour
- 1 1/4 Cups of Milk
- 1 1/2- Ritz Cracker Sleeves Completely Crushed in a Bowl
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350* (put a sheet of foil on oven rack in case it boils over)
- Butter a 3 qt oval or round casserole dish making sure to get the bottom and sides covered with the butter. (you want a deep dish so that you can layer the ingredients)
- Put a layer of macaroni on bottom of your casserole dish
- Sprinkle thin layer of flour over macaroni
- Put 6 paper thin slices of butter on top of noodles
- Cover with cheese (no noodles should be seen through the cheese)
- Cover the cheese with freshly ground black pepper.
- Repeat these layers until only about 3 inches from top of dish.
- Pour milk evenly over the top. (should use enough milk to fill about 3 inches in bottom of casserole dish)
- Melt 4 TBSP’s of butter and mix with your crushed cracker crumbs. Use your hands and mix very well together.
- Put your cracker crumbs on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Put in pre-heated 350* oven for about 30-45 minutes or until it’s bubbly.
- Let rest for about 10-15 minutes before serving.